Of course, many mothers are familiar with the situation when a child is naughty during meals (at dinner, breakfast). By the way, psychologists say that such behavior of a child at the table is inevitable and sooner or later the process of eating turns into a real battle. So what to do if the child does not want to eat?
The main thing is to stay calm, no matter how difficult it may be! At a certain age, when the child begins to realize his “I” (somewhere in 2–4 years), the formation of his personality and character begins. The easiest way to demonstrate your self and importance to your child is by refusing to eat. He perfectly sees how this upsets his parents and how they are ready to fulfill any whim if he eats “at least another spoonful” of porridge or soup. The child learns to manipulate his parents. Therefore, the more emotionally parents react to such behavior at the table, the more difficult it becomes to feed the child.
What can cause whims while eating?
Oddly enough, sometimes parents themselves unwittingly push the child to refuse lunch. If your child snacks on chocolates, cookies, and soda chips between meals, is that surprising? On the other hand, if everyone in the house is used to snacking on unhealthy foods, and the child does not get such “goodies”, he may feel left out and unloved.
Also, if one parent forces the child to eat something that, in his opinion, is not tasty, and at the same time the other generously treats him to a sweet pie, then at the table the child will be even more capricious. Adult family members must agree among themselves and maintain parental authority.
Many mothers panic if the child refuses to eat over and over again. They are ready to do anything, fulfill any whim. Should not be doing that. If a child gets used to manipulating you, it will be very difficult to wean him.
Sometimes unappetizing food is to blame for a child’s unwillingness to eat. Try to decorate the dish, make it more interesting. Maybe this will arouse the interest of the child?
Also, the child’s appetite may disappear due to a stressful situation in the family. Children very subtly feel the mood of adults, and if something is wrong with you, they can adopt an anxious state and refuse to eat, act up.
How to feed a child?
- Forcing a child is useless. The more you insist, the more objections, mostly from pure stubbornness. Move away from the child and tell him that he can eat his portion whenever he wants. He won’t get anything else before dinner anyway.
- The same dish can be cooked and served in different ways. Let the milk porridge become “Carlson’s porridge”, add a little jam to it. Be creative, interest the child.
- Everyone likes when their efforts are appreciated. Invite your child to help you prepare dinner, for example, let him stir the soup or brush the buns with egg. Your baby will be very proud when, sitting down at the table, he will tell everyone that he helped cook. And he ate everything he “cooked”!
- By imitating adults, children learn and experience the world. Gather the whole family around the dinner table at least once a day. The kid will see the behavior of the household at the table and begin to copy it, gobbling up food on both cheeks.
- Do you like monotonous food? Not? Of course, so does your child. In addition to the fact that a variety of food is simply necessary for the development of a child’s body, the same dish can get bored, even if it is a favorite. Vegetables, fruits, dairy products, cereals, meat and fish dishes — let your child’s diet be complete.
- In the intervals between main meals, it is better not to give the child sweets, this will ruin his appetite. If the baby is really hungry, offer him a banana or an apple.
- Have you noticed how in nature even the most unloved dishes were eaten with a bang? Fresh air, a walk stimulate the appetite, so before dinner, go for a walk with your baby, let him run, jump, play with the ball. His appetite will wake up and he will eat everything that you put on his plate without whims!