There is nothing left before the start of the lessons, and it’s time to collect the child for school. Many parents have already received a list from teachers or are acting according to the usual pattern. We will help you not to forget the necessary things and not be disappointed in the quality. We tell you how to buy everything you need, and what is better to choose from. Backpack or satchel? Which pencil case is better? And what’s with the bookcases?
Backpack, briefcase, knapsack
You can open any article at random, and there you will definitely be told that the child should have not just a briefcase, but a school backpack with an orthopedic back, wide straps, and the list goes on. But in fact it is not always convenient and practical! Here’s what you can really choose from.
These are just the same orthopedic school backpacks with a fixed back, hundreds of compartments and wide straps. They really do not allow the children’s back and shoulders to be overloaded, but in fact you need to think carefully: who will wear this satchel?
Most often, in the primary grades, children do not go to school alone — they are driven or carried by their parents, and they basically carry these satchels by the handle. And inside the school, primary school students mostly study in the same class. So during the time that the child will reach from the entrance to the school to the classroom, the orthopedic back is not particularly useful.
There is a sense in such a backpack if the student himself wears it — for example, when accompanied to school by elderly relatives. Well, or if you really want it: this direction is very well developed and captivates children with a variety of designs with all sorts of characters and prints.
If the backpack will be worn by a child, and the school is far away, look not only at orthopedics and straps, but also at the material of the back of the backpack. The best option is a breathable membrane, as in the Z series from the Russian brand Hummingbird. With this, the child will not sweat his back.
In the Hummingbird line, there are also options with a durable plastic bottom and folding backpacks that are easy to get everything out of (not the lightest backpacks on the market). The average cost is about 5,000 rubles. Minus according to reviews: new backpacks need to be “ventilated” on the balcony for a couple of weeks from an unpleasant smell.
If the weight of the backpack is more important, then the TIGER FAMILY brand (Hong Kong) has models for first-graders weighing only 640 grams — and with a volume of 19 liters. Everything will fit! By the way, this brand, like the Russian Upixel backpacks, has the ability to change patterns and make an “individual design”.
True, there is a big benefit from the rigid back of the backpack (semi-rigid will also cope): it keeps its shape well, which means that notebooks will wrinkle less. The mass of compartments is also a plus: you can separately fold a non-spill cup, lunchbox, phone, student card, etc. And then you don’t have to look for all this among pencils and sports uniforms.
Keep in mind that children grow up quickly. Most likely, in a year you will have to buy a new satchel, and they are not the cheapest. You should not take it for growth: the width of the frame backpack should not be more than the width of the child’s shoulders. It is better to measure directly on the child. For example, the popular and inexpensive MagTaller brand has almost all models designed for large first-graders.
Backpack without frame
This is the most common backpack for a schoolboy — he does not have a hard back (at best, there is a foam insert), shoulder straps of medium width, there are very few compartments. But in fact, such a “bag with handles” is not the worst option. It is convenient to carry it along school corridors, such backpacks weigh the very minimum, and it’s not so pitiful if a child throws them or uses them as a seat for riding down a hill.
So if you don’t have a neat little one in your house, but a classic junior schoolboy who, before the lesson, pulls everything out on a desk, finds what he needs and stuffs everything back — that is, an ordinary child — then this is quite your option. Here you need compartments for personal important things — a couple is enough. Well, if they are tightly closed with a zipper inside the backpack.
Additional advantages: a huge selection of designs and sizes and cost: this is the cheapest option. The Silwerhof Cube brand, for example, offers school backpacks for less than 300 rubles, Brauberg — for 450, PN Market — a more filled option for 800.
Pay attention to the size so that everything fits, and the material. Backpacks have to be washed or washed, and quite often.
Although this is not quite a “school” option, and all orthopedists will tell you that a backpack with one strap provokes deformation of the shoulder girdle and curvature of the spine, it also has a right to exist for older children. But: only if the child rides a bike to school.
It was these backpacks that the mail carriers chose, moving on two-wheeled vehicles in a half-bent state. In this position, the backpack sling evenly distributes the load over the entire back. Well, from the entrance to the school to the class, he will not have time to harm with any type of wearing.
It is better to choose such sling backpacks in a sports store.
What else to look for when choosing a backpack for school? It is highly desirable that the fabric is water-repellent (think not only about the rain on the outside, but also about the juice pack inside), and the backpack itself has reflective elements.
If not, think about a patch, sticker or badge that will help the driver recognize the child on a dark winter morning or in an autumn fog.
Pencil cases and everything in them
The pencil case is practically a backpack in miniature. It also makes sense to select it according to the nature of the child: there are transformer cases in which there are several compartments and there is a place for everything. A great option if the child likes order. Well, if not, everything will be in a heap in this not the cheapest pencil case, and it’s good if you manage to fasten it.
Often school bags are sold as a set, with a change bag and a pencil case of the same design. There are even additional handbags and cosmetic bags! Many brands have the option to choose whether to buy only the satchel or all together. Pay attention to this!
It will not be so difficult for a first-grader to manage a folding pencil case: it is like a book with a clasp, sometimes there are still a couple of “pages” with elastic bands inside. Practical, convenient, and will help to teach the child that pencils and pens have their own place.
Among the leaders among parents of first-graders are the brands Winner One with breakage protection (and this happens!), Schoolformat with PVC walls and laminated cardboard inside, hypoallergenic Herlitz, wear-resistant ErichKrause. Tiger Family is praised for convenient filling (although children prefer pencil cases with pictures to plain ones). The cost of such pencil cases is from 400 rubles and more.
A pencil case with one or two compartments is not an option for first-graders, like a tube. More office supplies fit into the tube, but both of these options are suitable for high school students. This is a stylish accessory or a functional thing for those who have already gnawed at the granite of science and know exactly where everything is, and does not run to their mother.
What should be in the pencil case?
- Of course, pens. Most often, ordinary ballpoint, not gel, are needed — the ink from them is easily smeared, in addition, the gel pen does not “teach” the child to take into account the pressure on the paper, and this is also an important part of the development of fine motor skills. You need pens: blue — two pieces, one green and one red. It’s good if there are rubber pads on the body: on fingers that are not accustomed to handles, chafing and even calluses can appear without them. Automatic pens with young children do not justify themselves. A brand with which there will be no problems finding exactly the same pen to replace your favorite one is Erich Krause.
- Simple pencils: as you know, there are not many of them. But three or four in two stiffness options is enough for the first time. The classic among pencils is, of course, the Koh-I-Noor brand.
- Ruler 15–20 cm. Experienced parents advise taking wooden ones: they are more difficult to break into sharp pieces, including by accident.
- White soft eraser.
- Small sharpener with chip container.
This is a minimum set for the first time. Further, you may have to equip the pencil case with something else or, conversely, remove it — if, for example, in the classroom, they put a common convenient sharpener. Although it never hurts.
By the way, experienced parents of schoolchildren are not advised to take “first-grader kits” or completed pencil cases. They often lack something or something turns out to be of the wrong form / quality. Build your own set. Well, if pens and pencils have already been tested “in practice” and the child likes it, take it with a margin — all this is often lost.
So that the child does not forget the pencil case or pen at home, get the same set on the home study table. Then you don’t have to put everything out of your backpack for homework. And about whether it is necessary to help children do it and how exactly, read in a separate article.
Notebooks and covers
Teaching notebooks that come with textbooks are most often centrally purchased by parent committees or the school itself. But many also require regular checkered and lined notebooks. They will need 10 pieces, then, most likely, you will have to buy them in a box, but not in a narrow line with an oblique strip: the child will switch to a wide line.
Choose notebooks with thick matte paper — it is easier to write on it and they look neat longer. But inside it is better that there are not 18–24 sheets, but only 12. Still, a school backpack is not the lightest handbag, and each notebook adds grams.
On sale there are notebooks with bright covers in drawings, but it is better to take ordinary plain ones. By the way, if paper diaries are still used at school, then the cover should also be neutral, without pictures.
A good option is a thin plastic folder for notebooks. So they get less dirty, crumpled and torn.
Covers for everything are practically a “must-have” for first-graders. Forgotten bananas and half-eaten sweets, drops of juice — all this stains and smells. But if there are no problems with covers for ordinary notebooks (choose tighter ones — they will last longer), then training kits come in different sizes. Do not rush until you get your hands on them or buy them yourself: there is a chance that you will have to look for special sizes of math covers, or take a larger cover and glue it (with a warm iron or tape).
It may not be useful for a child at home, but such a stand is very necessary at a school desk. They are also often purchased centrally by the parent committee. But if you are not so lucky (or you yourself are this committee), pay attention to quality. The stand must be stable, keep the correct angle of inclination, have no sharp parts and serve for a long time.
There are a lot of options for coasters — from metal ones familiar to everyone since childhood and a combination of metal with plastic for 100 rubles to “Lincolns” in the world of coasters from Brauberg. Prices for such coasters start at 800 rubles, but according to parents, they hold even the largest books and securely fix the pages of the textbook.
Fine arts and technology
- In recent years, sketchbooks have evolved: you can find brackets, springs, tear-off perforations, different types of paper in them. But many first-graders advise not to pursue perfection, but to buy an ordinary folder with paper for drawing. Convenient and simple.
For the first months, children have enough folders with 8–12 sheets — for school. For home crafts, you can buy anything.
- School will need paints of two types — watercolor (honey, with a palette of 9–12 colors) and gouache: most often a set of 6 jars is enough. No need to look for a professional “Leningrad” watercolor or a full palette of gouache for the school, the most popular and proven brands of paints for lessons are “Luch” and “Gamma”.
- They also need brushes: three types of different thicknesses from natural pile are enough. By the way, in this case, a set for a student can help out well (unlike sets of pens with pencils). To all this, you need a non-spill glass, and here there are no restrictions. As long as the lid stays on.
- For school crafts, you will also need white and colored cardboard and colored paper (take double-sided in the form of notebooks). As a rule, in stores there are complete sets of cardboard and paper for first graders, and they are quite suitable for the requirements.
- Clay: Leave neon glowing options or play dough at home. The school needs ordinary plasticine — not the softest (but not hard stone). As a rule, it is called “classic”. 8–10 colors in a set is enough. The leaders among purchases for the school are the same Luch and Gamma brands, slightly higher in quality (and price) than Brauberg.
- Craft glue: Children at school will need two types: pencil and PVA. Do not take large bottles: they are uncomfortable to wear, and they dry out very quickly for those who forget to close them.
- If the child is familiar with scissors, take steel ones. If not, buy plastic ones, they are safer. And always with rounded ends and in a special storage case.
By the way, if you have a left-handed child, try special left-handed scissors. Unlike pens, this is not a marketing trick, but a different angle of sharpening scissors, more suitable for the left hand. This is not only convenient, but also shows the student that his left-handedness is also the norm. And it is right! For more information on why left-handers are no longer retrained and how they can differ, read the article “Is it true that it is dangerous to retrain left-handed people?”.